Thursday, September 22, 2016

Gluten Free Flour Tortilla Recipe

Wow...I haven't posted a recipe in ages! I figured it was time that I did and I just had to choose my new, favorite thing - gluten free flour tortillas.

I hadn't eaten a flour tortilla since going gluten free several years ago. What a shame, since I love them so much! They do have them at my local grocer, in the freezer section, but I've never tried them. Aside from the fact that store-bought gluten free ANYTHING is super expensive, I've found that anything frozen usually tastes awful. So I decided to try making homemade flour tortillas and it worked out perfectly! There are a couple of things I'd do differently next time, and I mention them below the recipe. I used my Kitchenaid to mix the dough, since it was a gift from my children, but you can also mix the dough in a food processor or even by hand.

If you give this recipe a try, please tell me how it works out for you!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups  gluten free all purpose flour (I used Pillsbury. Just be sure yours has Xantham Gum)
  • 4 Tbs. shortening (I used vegetable oil, but you could also use room temp coconut oil)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 to 1 cup warm water

© 2016 DIY Mom Blog, Susan Barton

 Instructions:
Combine the flour, salt and shortening in a food processor or mixer, mixing until it turns into a fine, grainy consistency (only takes a couple or so minutes). Slowly pour the water through the feeding tube until the dough begins to form a ball. The amount of water needed may vary, so keep an eye on it. You can always add a little more flour if you find you've allowed the dough to get too sticky. If you've made dough of any kind you'll know what to look for. 

Wrap the dough in plastic. Let it sit while you heat up an ungreased skillet. Pinch off a small piece of dough and roll it into a ball. You can either use a tortilla press or roll it with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to form your tortillas. Roll to the size you want your tortillas to be…thin enough to remain pliable, but not too thin or the dough with crack. Fry in the heated skillet for less than half a minute or so on each side, turning with a spatula. Watch for slight browning. Don't over fry or your tortillas will become tough and brittle. Gluten free flour can be annoyingly unforgiving. Enjoy!

© 2016 DIY Mom Blog, Susan Barton

*My tortilla press is the smaller kind, more like for corn tortillas, so my tortillas were kind of small and thicker than I’d like. I’d either get a larger tortilla press or roll them by hand next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment