Sunday, November 20, 2011

MSG Migraines Anyone?

I've been a migraine sufferer since childhood. I had hoped my migraines would begin to get less frequent and would have stopped by now, but they seem to have gotten more frequent and even more intense lately. I began thinking about my diet and practically non-exist exercise regimen.

Sweets were never my favorite indulgence. I've always been partial to salty treats. I was thinking that maybe my salty diet was somehow contributing to my migraines, but then it hit me. What about MSG? I cook with chicken bouillon (pictured above) every chance I can and have never given the ingredients a single thought, or worried about what it could be doing to my health. When I read the label, I saw that MSG is the third ingredient listed, only after salt and cornstarch. Since I know that manufacturers list ingredients in descending order by weight, it's safe to assume that there's quite a bit of MSG in this particular chicken bouillon (and most others I'm willing to bet). There's a great deal of scientific and medical data that shows how bad MSG can be to our health.

As of today, I'm eliminating this seasoning from my diet. I love the taste of it in my recipes, but I don't love my migraines. They're monstrous thieves that rob me of pieces of my life.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'd love to hear your stories.

You can read more about migraine triggers in this informative guide written by Dale Kiefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment