Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Vegetables on Toast

Canned chicken isn't just for chicken salad sandwiches. You can use this low-cost meat in hot meals. I usually buy Walmart's "Great Value" version, which is priced under $2.00 a can and is just as good as any of the name brands. I promise you, you won't taste any difference.




I was trying to decide what to make for dinner and knew I had a can of chicken in my pantry. I was tired of the same old chicken salad sandwiches and decided to experiment. A desire for creamy chicken and vegetables on toast had me trying a new recipe.

I cut up two medium sized potatoes (skins on) and placed them in a microwave-safe bowl. I microwaved the potatoes for five minutes and then set them aside.

I made a basic, easy roux. I melted a generous amount of margarine in a large pot set over medium heat. I've had comments about my using margarine and not butter, but that's what we prefer in my house.  You can use margarine, butter or oil. I added about 3/4 of a cup of flour to the melted margarine and mixed it thoroughly with the margarine. Next, I slowly poured milk into the mixture and stirred continuously until it thickened into a delicious cream sauce.

I opened the canned chicken and added it to the cream sauce. Then I added the cooked potatoes. I microwaved about 2 cups of frozen peas for three minutes just to defrost them and then added them to the cream mixture. I added salt, pepper, garlic powder and powdered chicken bouillon to taste. Finally, I poured the creamy chicken and vegetables over toast. It was delicious, inexpensive and easy.

Creamy Chicken and Vegetables on Toast


No comments:

Post a Comment