Friday, December 15, 2017

Free Form Crochet - A Crochet Craft that Anyone Can Do!

I crochet...A LOT. I find it meditative and relaxing. Plus, I can create gifts, home dec and plenty of other unique items for myself, and for friends and family. Since I crochet so much, I always have lots of small balls of leftover yarn. After recently making my colorful and comfy scrapghan, I realized I STILL had lots of bits and pieces just lolling about in my yarn basket. 




Researching "scrap crochet" on the internet had me finding one particular method mentioned several times: free form crochet. Free form crochet is an excellent technique that makes great use of all those yarn leftovers. Why hadn't I heard about this? Hmmm..apparently it's not new, but it was new to me, so I had to give it a try.


I must admit that I struggled a bit at first with where and how the heck to begin. But then I finally decided to just go for it and start. I figured what's the worst that could happen? I'd have to pull out some stitches and start again. I didn't follow any particular tutorial or pattern (there really is no set pattern to follow anyway), preferring to just make it up as I went, using stitches I was already familiar with.




Well I'm happy to say that this was a TON of fun to do. There's no right or wrong way to crochet a free form piece. It has the happy advantage of going off in all sorts of unique and artistic directions and the results are fantastic. I can see a couple of these pieces being put to use as wall art some place in my home.

How about you? Have you ever tried free form crochet? What did you think? Please share your thoughts with me. I'd love to hear all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment