Thursday, June 14, 2018

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe - No Review Here, Folks... This Was a DNF for Me


I refuse to go in depth into the many reasons why I deeply disliked this book other than to say these few brief things:

I wanted to like Things Fall Apart. I really did, but I just couldn't get past Chapter 7. The author may have written about African tribal culture at that time, but beating women, slavery and beheading innocent children just wasn't on my reading tasks for today or on any day for that matter. 

Aside from the horrific stories, the storytelling itself was emotionless, stagnant and stilted. In other words, BORING. 

Note to PBS's The Great American Read list: You are NOT the literary boss of me. It's time for me to get much more selective in my reading choices. So there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment