Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Book Review of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I'm happy to say that I've had the pleasure of reading another 5 star book on the PBS The Great American Read list. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is an excellent classic and I highly recommend it. 

My book review is below. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts! 






Andalusian shepherd boy Santiago sells his sheep and leaves his home in Spain to find buried treasure near the Pyramids after he has a prophetic dream. Along the way, he meets a gypsy, a king, a beautiful girl and an alchemist. Several obstacles complicate his journey, which causes Santiago to doubt himself and his quest. Yet, as he perseveres, he finds much more about the treasures of the heart than any material riches he could have ever imagined.

I loved this book. It’s an allegory that’s filled with lovely, rich imagery and a powerfully important message: You must be willing to be an active participant in your destiny (Personal Legend) even when it means stepping out of your own comfort zone.

The wording is simple, yet poignant. The book is short, but there is much to learn here. I can see why The Alchemist is a classic book that has been translated into many languages over the years. The allegories within the story are used brilliantly – the sheep, the treasure, and the alchemy all have alternate meanings.

There is a spiritual (religious?) slant to The Alchemist, and one that I didn’t mind, but some people might. I certainly didn’t feel that it was overdone and I can say that it didn’t overpower the story. This is a book that I’d highly recommend reading!

5 of 5 Stars, Review by Susan Barton, DIY Mom Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment