Thursday, April 19, 2018

Book Review of Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn in Anticipation of the Upcoming HBO Series


Camille Preaker is a reporter at a low-budget newspaper in Chicago. When the editor wants to send Camille to investigate the vicious killings of two pre-teen girls in her hometown of Wind Gap, MO, she’s reluctant to go. Recently released from a mental health facility, Camille is still fragile. She knows going back will only dredge up memories of her dysfunctional childhood. Against her better judgment, Camille agrees to cover the story, but it just might end up being the death of her.




I read and loved Gone Girl and had Sharp Objects on my TBR for ages. HBO’s upcoming series, starring Amy Adams, made me move the book up on my list. 

Unfortunately, HBO has not yet released the trailer for the series, which is slated to air in "Summer of 2018" according to the HBO website. I guess we'll have to wait it out.

This one was definitely dark and twisted. There’s a lot of dysfunction going on here. I had a love, hate relationship with Camille. I hated the way she seemed strong and capable one minute, and needy and pathetic the next. Many of the other characters were highly unlikable and downright strange. It just goes to show that you do not need to create likable characters to have a likable book. And liked it, I did.

Gillian Flynn certainly has a dark imagination. She’s also a fabulous writer. The character detail, story descriptions, plot twists…basically everything…is so detailed, fleshed out and intricate that  I found myself in awe that this was her debut novel.

By now, most readers know what’s behind Camille’s hospital stay. However, I’d have to say that Sharp Objects should most definitely come with a trigger warning. Knowing ahead of time that the topic of cutting is prevalent here is important for some readers.

I enjoyed this book, as creepy as it was. It was interesting and extremely compelling. I finished it in less than a day. I’m now looking forward to watching the series.

5 of 5 Stars, Review by Susan Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment