Monday, February 5, 2018

Book Review of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I haven't shared a book review in a while, so what better book to review than A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! This timeless classic is much more than a children's book. It's truly a book that will be enjoyed and loved by anyone at anytime!


Susan Barton, DIY Mom Blog


Young Francie Nolan is growing up in Williamsburg, Brooklyn at the beginning of the 20th century. Life isn’t easy for the Nolan family. Francie’s father Johnny likes his liquor and has a difficult time keeping a job. Francie’s mother Katie is a strong and determined woman, who manages to take care of Francie and her brother Neeley as best she can – working long hours scrubbing several neighborhood tenements, while stressing to the children how much their success in life depends upon an education. Through all the struggles, heartbreaks, laughter and pain, the Nolan family moves forward and readers are witness to it all.

I read this book long ago while in elementary school, and decided to re-read it as part of the #bucketlistbookclub Instagram group. As I read, I realized that I have a much greater appreciation for A Tree than I did at the time of my initial reading years ago.

I wondered what I could possibly say about this classic story, that hasn’t already been said. Then I realized that talking about how the book affected me this go around would be the best approach.

Although many people think of A Tree as a children’s book, it’s far from a book that is meant only for children. The book deals with some very adult topics, but does it in a delicate enough way to be appropriate for ages 12 and up (in my opinion, at least). There are so many wonderfully truthful elements within the book that one can’t help but be almost certain that the author is writing from true life.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is full of quirky, glorious characters. The book is endearing, touching, emotional and uplifting. It’s a timeless story of love, family and coming of age. There were several chapters that truly pulled at my heartstrings. There were parts where I actually laughed aloud. In a word, this book is WONDERFUL and I can’t recommend it enough.

If you haven’t yet read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, I urge you to do so. If you read it as a child, I’d encourage you to revisit the book as an adult. Absolute perfection!


5 of 5 Stars, Review by Susan Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment