Thursday, October 19, 2017

Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty Book Review


I spotted this book at my local library and couldn’t believe my luck. Liane Moriarty’s books are difficult to get a hold of at my library and I happily grabbed it right away. But then I found out the reason why it sat all by its lonesome – it’s not exactly one of her most popular books.


I admit I had a great deal of difficulty getting into Truly Madly Guilty. It started soooo slowly it was almost painful. The author offered so few tiny crumbs of information for several chapters. Readers knew something awful happened, but we didn’t know what happened, why it happened or even who the awful thing happened to. We just knew it was bad and it happened at “The Barbeque”. I soon found myself so irritated with this cheesy writing ploy that I ended up putting the book down in frustration, only to pick it back up several days later. Then I found that once I got about 150 pages into the book it actually picked up and got a bit more interesting.

Truly Madly Guilty is filled with dysfunctional characters, with dysfunctional past and present lives. By the time the author finally reveals what terrible event occurred at the infamous barbeque it’s almost a letdown. We’re expecting a monumental, devastating occurrence, but it’s not quite there.


I was not at all a fan of the dangling carrot ploy used in this book. It was cheap and unnecessary. I can see how it’s angered many Moriarty fans – myself included. I wouldn’t say that Truly Madly Guilty is a terrible book – I’m not sorry that I stuck with it to the end. However, I would say this is definitely not one of Moriarty’s best novels and I sincerely hope she rethinks things in her next book.

3 of 5 Stars, Review by Susan Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment