Monday, August 22, 2016

Turn Your Junk Mail into Happy Mail Art!

I've recently noticed all the great mail art people are making and sharing on YouTube. If you're like me, you probably get a lot of "junk" mail. I decided to give it a try and I'm hooked.

Like most things, all it takes is looking at things in a new and different way. Turning flyers, advertisements, postcards and other mailings into artwork can quickly become addictive. So much better than throwing them into the trash!

Before long, you'll be positively giddy to see junk mailings in your mailbox! You can also find unique and creative ways to reuse cardboard boxes, product packaging and even retail product tags. Keeping everything in a box and ready to use will help inspire ideas!

Here are just a few things I've recently made from junk mail:

© 2016 Susan Barton


The piece on the left was made from a recycled cracker box (the "you'll love" text was already on there). The piece on the right was a church mailing that I turned into an 8-page mini zine. A little paint, some drawings, pen and ink and I have something I can send in some happy mail.

© 2016 Susan Barton
This piece was another sheet from the church mailing. I was able to tear the sheets in half and get several 8.5 x 11 inch sheets to use. I painted, stenciled and stamped on it, drew one of my girls to glue on and folded over the top slightly to create an envelope. I sealed the edges with double-sided tape. (you can also sew the edges to seal them)

© 2016 Susan Barton
This one is made from several different pieces of junk mail cards that I folded over and bound together using some inexpensive cotton string. I added ATCs, hang tags with tassels and a bunch of other secret goodies inside some pockets created from junk mail envelopes. You can pretty much paint over anything and add your own touches using this technique.  


Do you create junk mail art? I'd love to see some of your work. Please leave a comment below. I'm always open to trading mail art too!

No comments:

Post a Comment